Confession of Faith from the German Evangelical Alliance - The common basis of faith
As the Evangelical Alliance, we profess our faith in the revelation of God in the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. We emphasize the following biblical principles, which we regard as
fundamental to the Christian faith and which should be a help to us as Christians for mutual love, service and evangelical outreach.
- to the omnipotence and grace of God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in creation, revelation, redemption, final judgment and consummation;
- to the divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures, their complete reliability and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct of life;
- to the utter sinfulness and guilt of fallen man, exposing him to God's wrath and judgment;
- to the substitutionary sacrifice of the incarnate Son of God as the sole and all-sufficient basis of redemption from the guilt and power of sin and its consequences;
- to the justification of the sinner by the grace of God alone through faith in Jesus Christ, who was crucified and rose from the dead;
- to the work of the Holy Spirit, who brings about conversion and the regeneration of man, dwells in the believer, and enables him to be sanctified;
- to the priesthood of all believers, who form the worldwide church, the body of which Christ is the head, and which is bound by His command to preach the gospel in all the world;
- to the expectation of the personal, visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ in power and glory; to the continuance of the God-given personhood of man; to the resurrection of the body to
judgment and to the eternal life of the redeemed in glory.